Has this happened to you before? You made your resolution list, posted it to social media, and then come spring, you realize that you completely abandoned your intentions! It’s ok, it happens to the best of us! In fact, only 8% of people actually follow through with their New Year’s resolution so don’t worry, you’re not the only one. New Year’s resolutions can be intimidating, which is why we’ve put together this list of tips on how to stick to your New Year’s resolution and take 2022 by storm!
- Anticipate how you might fail
The small group of people who actually achieve their resolutions have a secret…they are honest about their weaknesses. Before announcing your resolution to your friends and family, make a list of all the ways that you might talk yourself out of it or the things that could pop up unexpectedly in your life that might keep you from fulfilling your promise. If, for example, you resolve to wake up at 5 am on workdays, you could anticipate that you might decide to go out one night and not feel like getting up so early. You might also miss setting your alarm or have to stay up late finishing work. Keep all of these potential pitfalls in mind and plan out how you will deal with them when they inevitably come up.
- Approach it gradually
Always remember to start small! There is nothing wrong with baby steps! If you’re wondering how to stick to your New Year’s resolution in 2022, just take it slow. This is especially important for diet and fitness-related resolutions. We’ve all started a new exercise schedule only to stop halfway through because it’s too tiring, or the sessions are too intense. Instead of jumping feet first into a new resolution, give yourself a few “baby steps” you can take to get started on your journey. Try to think of 3-4 smaller action steps that will help you reach one of your New Year’s resolutions. Then, set firm deadlines for each of these baby steps leading to your ultimate end goal date. This will ensure that you won’t get discouraged when you take on too much too soon.
- Make your resolution authentic
When deciding on a New Year’s resolution, make sure it’s truly something that you want. Try to avoid basing your resolution on what you see people doing online or what you think you “should” do. Be honest with what would sincerely make you happy. A good way to get clear on your 2022 goals is to find a quiet space where you can sit and daydream for a long period of time without people or other distractions around. Without these outside influences, what would you naturally gravitate towards? What would make you really excited to accomplish in 2022? Write down some ideas in your goal-setting planbook and craft a resolution based on that thought. You will be more likely to fulfill the resolution if it matches your unique personality and desires!
Planning is key when it comes to accomplishing goals. The more effort and care you put into crafting your resolution, the more likely it will actually come to fruition. The power is all in your hands. These tips and a goal-setting planbook are key factors in helping to understand how to stick to your new year’s resolution! With this in mind, you’ll be setting intentions, sticking to resolutions, and accomplishing your goals in no time!
Happy New Year!
Oh, wait… We aren’t finished! The VA’s at Mood want to share our own personal resolutions with you:
- Start traveling again (with caution)! MVC was originally designed by a roaring digital nomad, and it is my goal to set out once again to show how you can chase personal fulfillment through your career. My 2022 will showcase just how productive you can be from any seat in the world that has WiFi and a cup of coffee!
- Read…more! I’m not going to put myself in a box and say I’ll read a book a week or even every other week. I just want to read more! It’s time to start feeding knowledge and fantasy back into the mix. I’m starting by simply putting a 30-minute hold on my calendar every day to pick up a book, magazine, or article and just consume!
- Learn and actually practice breathing techniques! Maybe my most needed resolution and one that is sure to be a game-changer. Taking a moment to step back and breathe not only reduces stress but provides you with a greater sense of mental clarity – something that never hurts to have more of!
- In 2022, I want to read 20 books
- This year I really want to work on growing my garden as well.